A 6-week course in becoming your own best friend, coach, mentor, and healer
Emotional wellbeing, self-understanding, and psychological wellness are part of living a good life, and inner work is for everyone. It’s time to make personal growth accessible, affordable, and enjoyable.
This course brings the wisdom of cutting-edge psychology of personal change out of the therapy room and into an online classroom setting for personal growth and transformation. The overarching goal is to equip you with the ability to help yourself grow and evolve, long after the course is over.
Led by Emma Donovan, MA, LPC, PLPC, holistic therapist and wellness educator for millennials, this is a holistic and integrative experience that will help you gain skills and practices to experience inner freedom and harmony. It provides a deep dive into the fascinating world of your inner life so you can become the hero of your own story.
This course integrates mindfulness, somatic psychology, systems thinking, and parts work (also known as Internal Family Systems). Parts Work is a powerful practice of self-awareness, personal growth, and self-healing that works by helping you get to know, love, and integrate every part of you. This leads you from inner conflict to inner peace, suffering to freedom, and self-criticism to self-love. It is a mindful and experiential method for gaining a deeper understanding of your psyche, creating inner change, gaining emotional resilience, and developing inner unity.
Parts Work can be called “Self Therapy” or “Self Coaching” because it is a powerful practice you can use on your own to become your own best friend, healer, mentor, and personal coach. It is well-sought-after in the wellness world and respected in the clinical realm as an evidence-based practice. The course material builds upon itself. It is a gentle yet deep path that honors your psyche every step of the way.
Due to the overwhelming interest in this course, the course is now full and registration for the May 2020 cohort is closed. Click the button below to send me an email to register your interest for the next one. This ensures you’ll be the first to know when I open this course back up so you can be sure to snag a spot.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
- People who are curious to learn more about themselves
- People with a spiritual “spark” who see their struggles and obstacles in life as growth opportunities on their life path
- People dedicated to their own healing, growth, and transformation, and want to be able to mentor themselves through anything
- People who are committed to doing inner work (this isn’t just educational, it’s experiential. We are going to go deep!)
- People who are eager to be authentic and vulnerable in a safe group of others on the same journey
- People who are currently doing well in life and want to grow (please see my stipulation on therapy in the FAQs)
BENEFITS OF TAKING THIS COURSE
- Gain a deep self-awareness and understanding of your personality and how your psyche is organized, gaining self-love and self-acceptance. Move away from models that assess you and tell you “who” and “what” you are, and rather find out for yourself by learning how to inquire within
- Tap into your core essence that is naturally calm, curious, compassionate, and wise. Learn how to lead your life from this place, no matter how difficult life gets
- Understand what’s keeping you stuck in old patterns of behavior, and learn how to change this. Address blockages that are standing in the way of being the person you want to be
- Turn your inner demons into inner allies, befriend your darkest parts, and learn how to “be with” emotional difficulties with compassion and courage
- Move from cognitive dissonance to inner peace, inner freedom, and inner harmony. Turn your inner warring voices into your inner counsel
- Learn tools, tips, strategies, and practices you can apply in daily life, both during the course, and long after the course is over
ABOUT THE TEACHER : EMMA DONOVAN, MA, LPC, PLPC
Holistic therapist, transformational coach, and personal growth educator for millennials
Emma’s work is informed by her decade of working in the wellness industry, 6 years as an advanced yoga instructor, a master’s degree in counseling, thousands of therapy sessions with clients, advanced training in IFS, experience working as a coach, and almost 2 years as a therapist and personal growth educator at a remote mindfulness-based therapeutic community in Thailand. She bases this course primarily on Internal Family Systems or “Parts Work,” and also includes elements of mindfulness, journaling, and somatic psychology.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- 6 2-hour live lectures, Q and As, group practice opportunities, and small discussion groups to bond, share, and process your experience with other group members
- Almost a dozen meditations you will have access to forever
- Practices you can use individually to gain self-awareness, insight, and growth, during the course and long after it is over
- Several journaling prompts to return to every time you get “stuck”
- Several micro-practices you can use to respond with emotional resilience in the moment
- An optional buddy to help you practice and stay motivated
- All of this at a very affordable rate that is approximately 75-85% off the cost you would pay for the equivalent amount of time in private sessions with Emma
WHAT YOU’LL EXPERIENCE
Weekly course content (open to change and flex depending on the needs of the group)
Week 1: An Introduction to Your Inner World
- Orient to the course and connect with others in it
- Gain a basic understanding of your inner world
- Begin to map your inner territory and meet your internal cast of characters (or archetypes)
- Understand and appreciate one part of you; gain skills to work independently with parts
Week 2: Meeting Your Core Self and Tapping Into Your Inner Wisdom and Strength
- Understand, experience, and embody your highest core self
- Learn to be fully embodied so you can listen to the messages your body is sending you
- Identify practices that help you tap into Core Self and bring them into daily life to live a more centered, calm existence
Week 3: Deepen Awareness of The Theory and Apply it to Yourself
- Gain a deeper understanding of the parts of your psyche and the roles they take on
- Reframe your inner demons as your inner allies to begin to befriend them
- Identify common situations and parts that leave you feeling “stuck”
- Get to know a protective part of you more in-depth to get un-stuck and spark transformation
Week 4: Become Your Own Inner Leader
- Create a goal for your highest good and gain a deep inner commitment to it
- Reframe triggers as opportunities for growth
- Create space and harmony between two seemingly contradictory parts of you
- Use compassionate inquiry to diffuse interpersonal struggles and heal your shadow
Week 5: Befriending Your Inner Demons
- Reframe your darkest parts as inner children that just need love and care
- Learn how to significantly reduce suffering by being compassionate towards your pain
- Begin to identify some of the burdens your most vulnerable parts carry
- Learn practices you can use to become your own healer
Week 6: Bringing it to Daily Life
- Reflect on your experience and make a plan for how to integrate your learning into daily life
- Learn quick practices that will be useful in-the-moment
- Learn about further resources you can use for your growth
- Gain a sense of closure with the group
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you do not see your question below, please contact me at email@example.com.
I’M ONE OF YOUR CLIENTS. CAN I TAKE THIS COURSE?
This course was actually inspired by you! I’ve noticed that there are more resources and skills I want to provide for my clients than I can give in our time-limited one-on-one sessions. This course enables you to learn skills quickly, affordably, and effectively, and enhances one-on-one sessions. Our sessions can then be used to address “stuck” points and do deep healing work. The sessions and course complement and enhance each other. I am working on putting together a special and private group for current/past therapy clients only.
IS THIS THERAPY?
This course is not therapy, nor is it a replacement for therapy. It is an educational and experiential group where you learn theory and new skills through a combination of lecture, discussion, and practice. Emma is not your therapist unless you have been accepted as an individual therapy client. In general, this course is best suited for people who are doing “okay” or “good” (5-10/10 on the life satisfaction scale) who want to grow and move towards self-actualization. If you qualify for a mental health diagnosis or are in acute suffering, it is recommended that you seek out one-on-one therapy, so that you can get the individualized care and attention you need. If you have a regular therapist and are stable, you can contact me to explore the possibility of this course as an educational adjunct to therapy.
WHAT IS THE TIME INVESTMENT?
Part of the magic of the group will be the bonds and relationships you make with others. I recommend signing up if you can commit, at minimum, to the 2-hour sessions for 6 weeks. Beyond that, you will get out of this course what you put in. Journaling prompts and meditations will be given each week, and it is recommended that you budget 1-3 hours between classes for individual work.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I MISS A CLASS?
I strongly recommend you make a sincere commitment to attend all (or most) sessions to get the full benefit. I also understand that life happens, though. If you miss, you are welcome to do the practices on your own and check with your buddy for notes!
WHERE/HOW IS THIS COURSE HELD?
This course will be held in live weekly 2-hour sessions at set times on Zoom. You will receive the link to the meeting, as well as relevant materials, via email.
WHAT MATERIALS DO I NEED IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE?
I recommend using your laptop for meetings. If you don’t have one, a tablet or smartphone will do. I also recommend getting a journal and having a quiet space free from distractions. If you’re creative, art supplies might be fun for some activities but are not required.
YOU MENTIONED A BUDDY. CAN YOU TELL ME MORE?
All participants are given the option to have a “buddy” or learning partner for the course. This person can keep you motivated and process the exercises with you. If you prefer to go through the course independently, there is no pressure to have a buddy.
DO I NEED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH MEDITATION OR PARTS WORK BEFORE I ENROLL?
No experience is required, but you can prepare by beginning to do daily short meditations. Check out my meditations on Youtube and Insight Timer. “Deep Belly Breathing,” “Self Care Break,” and “Centering Reboot” are very simple places for beginners to start practicing a general sense of presence and embodiment. If you’re curious, you can also begin to use the Parts Work meditations as well.
IS THIS A SPIRITUAL COURSE? DO I NEED TO BE RELIGIOUS? AM I ALLOWED TO BE RELIGIOUS?
Many people report that they have a spiritual experience with Parts Work, no matter their faith or spiritual background. Others find the experience to simply be a practical method of self-understanding that is fully compatible with their beliefs (or lack thereof). The work is inherently secular but tends to align with the spiritual practice you already have (or don’t have).
IS THIS A QUICK FIX?
This course is not a “quick fix,” but rather a gift you give to yourself for your transformation and growth through a commitment to your own inner work. It will, however, equip you with skills that will empower you to face the inevitable challenges of life with more resilience, awareness, and presence. I do not offer quick fixes because I do not believe they exist. If I find one, though, I’ll be sure to let you know. 😉
WHAT IF I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS OR NEED A LOT OF SUPPORT OUTSIDE THE CLASS? ARE YOU AVAILABLE?
I am happy to help outside of the class, but for my own self-care, I need to have boundaries around my time. A few email questions about the course material here and there are welcome. Beyond that, you may book one-on-one consultation sessions with me during the course for extra support, if needed.
I WANT TO ENROLL! HOW MUCH IS IT?
The full price of this course will be $60 per week or $300 paid up-front. This is roughly 75-85% off the cost of what you would normally pay for individual sessions. Payment plans are available for those who need it.
I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO PARTICIPATE BUT I CANNOT AFFORD IT. IS THERE A SLIDING SCALE?
I recognize that some are struggling financially, whether they’ve been laid off work or simply have not had the same amount of privilege as others. I keep a few sliding scale spots open to be inclusive of those who can’t afford it. Please email me letting me know your financial situation. Search your heart for an amount you can contribute that will feel like a significant and sincere commitment without breaking your bank, and email me. Let’s see what we can do.
Due to the overwhelming interest in this course, the course is full and registration for the May 2020 cohort is now closed. Click the button below to send me an email to register your interest for the next one. This ensures you’ll be the first to know when I open this course back up so you can be sure to snag a spot.